Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in Canada accounting for more than 30 % of all deaths. This does not mean that all the cases of cancer will certainly result in death. It must be noted that while cancer is a grave condition, it is not always life threatening. The quality of life of the person can be maintained if diagnosed and managed in time. Currently, there are over 113, 000 cases of cancer in men and over 107, 400 cases in women of which lesser than half of the cases are expected to die. This certainly gives a ray of hope for individuals with cancer in Canada who can have a long survival rate despite their diagnosis. Achieving this is only possible if you seek the right medical care in time.
There are several hospital and medical centers in Canada which deliver specialized treatment for cancer patients. We thoroughly researched through the services provided by these hospitals and curated a list of the top 10. From this list, you can carefully select the most suitable hospital based on your cancer needs.
Princess Margaret Cancer Center
- Topping this list, the Princess Margaret Cancer Center is undoubtably one of the most prestigious cancer treatment institutes in Canada.
- Having a large hospital area and employing more than 3, 000 staff members, the Margaret Center is also renowned internationally.
- International recognition is also because of the world – class treatment technology adopted by the hospital.
- Some of the most recent innovative approaches employed by the hospital include radio-guided seed localization for intra-operative localization of breast cancers, robotic surgery procedures for prostate cancer, and a specialized technologically – assisted program for peritoneal cancers.
- Gamma Knife surgery is another innovative cancer solution provided by the hospital.
- Innovation in care is implemented through its involvement in efficient clinical trials aimed at improving quality of patient care.
- Being the most comprehensive cancer care programs in Canada, the center offers specialized care for cancer.
- One of its key areas is surgical oncology, which is through the involvement of a strong team of 60 surgical oncologists.
- Some other highlights are that it is the world’s largest single – site radiation medicine program and the only research and comprehensive cancer treatment center in Canada that is exclusive for oncology cases.
- Along with providing specialized treatment, Princess Margaret Center is focused at holistic care of patients.
- This is delivered through additional support services for the patients such as and a plastic and reconstructive surgery department for cancer patients.
Address: 610 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 2C1, Canada
Oncology unit of North York General Hospital
- North York General Hospital has been rated at the second – best hospital by the Daily Hive News.
- Its oncology department is not much behind being the largest cancer care program in the region of Toronto.
- The hospital offers specialized treatment for different types of cancer such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, gynecological cancer among others.
- Comprehensive care for cancer patients in Canada is provided with the help of a multi – disciplinary team of experts physicians, surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, oncologists, nurses, medical imaging professionals, case managers, and volunteers.
- The center also partners with other cancer programs in the region for delivering top – notch services to the patient. With these partnerships, the hospital aims to provide quality care to patients and minimize the time required in delivering care.
- The waiting times before surgery are the least for the North York Hospital when compared with other hospitals in Ontario. This reputes the center for providing timely and responsive care to cancer patients.
- The hospital utilizes special tools for early detection of cases. It uses the state-of-the art digital mammography machines with tomosynthesis for early breast cancer detection.
- Other services provided at the hospital include Medical Imaging, Laboratory Medicine, Genetics, Medicine, Mental Health, and Pharmacy Services.
- Keeping in mind, the needs of cancer patients at different stages, the hospital also excels in palliative care and advanced life support.
Address: 4001 Leslie St, North York, ON M2K 1E1, Canada
Segal Cancer Center, Jewish General Hospital
- Segal Cancer Centre is a part of the Jewish General Hospital, which has been rated among the top hospitals in Canada.
- The mission of Segal Cancer Center is to deliver efficient clinical care to all cancer patients in a compassionate manner keeping in mind their religious and spiritual needs.
- Meeting the drawbacks of culturally – efficient care for Jews, it provides dedicated support services such as nutritional support and psychological counselling for the best comfort of Jewish cancer patients.
- The inter – disciplinary team at the centre includes physicians, nurses, physiotherapists, dieticians, psychologists, social workers, pharmacists, support staff and volunteers. These members are involved in supporting the patient and family members at each step of care.
- The centre has a state – of – the – art facility for combining its cancer services with other domains of care such as prevention and research.
- Some of the services offered by the center include:
- Medical Oncology
- Surgical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Breast Cancer Service
- Colorectal Cancer Program
- Hematology-Oncology – leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Pulmonary Oncology – lung cancer
- Head & Neck Oncology – oral cancer, laryngeal cancer, hypopharyngeal cancer, oropharyngeal cancer, nasopharyngeal cancer
- Gynecologic Oncology – Cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer
- Urologic Oncology – bladder cancer, kidney cancer, testicular cancer, prostate cancer
- Cancer Nutrition-Rehabilitation Program
- Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Program
- Stroll Family Cancer Prevention Centre
- Palliative Care
- Hope & Cope
- Dermatologic Oncology
- Psychosocial Oncology
- Clinical Research Unit
- Oncology Pharmacy
- Oncology and Aging Program
- In addition to this, collaboration with allied health team is made for provisions such as speech therapy, auditory support and wellness programs.
Address: 3755 Chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine, Montréal, QC H3T 1E2, Canada
Odette Cancer Center, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Odette Cancer Center is situated at the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, which is among the best hospitals in Canada.
- It provides treatment and diagnostic services for different types of cancer including:
- The hospital is dedicated for patient information and education along with specialized care so that they can take a part in decision making.
- The multi – disciplinary team involved at the hospital ensures the customization of the treatment plan based on the age group of the patient.
- This helps in planning consultation services, additional support and services such as palliative care.
- Along with successful treatment of patients, the hospital runs rehabilitation programs for successful adjustment within the community and transition care clinics in collaboration with family doctors after the treatment of cancer.
Address: T-wing 2075 Bayview Avenue TG 260, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Ottawa Integrative Cancer Center
- Ottawa Integrative Cancer Center is renowned for providing complementary support to patients alongside their medical treatment.
- The medical team at the hospital includes radiation and medical oncologists, along with surgeons who collaborate with family doctors and nurse professionals to develop individual therapeutic programs for each patient.
- The center recognizes that complementary therapies can improve quality of life of cancer patients by reducing cancer drug toxicity and its side effects. It also has a potential for improving the immune system and maximizing the natural healing capacity of the body.
- The major aim of the Ottawa Integrated Center is to improve patient wellness not just after the treatment but also during the procedures.
- This is provided through services such as naturopathic medicine, clinical nutrition, acupuncture, massage, reflexology, physiotherapy, exercise, yoga, conscious living coaching, occupational therapy and counselling, which are provided by field experts and naturopathic doctors.
Address: 29 Bayswater Ave, Ottawa, ON K1Y 2E5, Canada
Cancer Center of Southeastern Ontario
- Cancer Center of Southeastern Ontario provides full – range of services for cancer patients.
- This includes diagnosis, screening, cancer prevention, treatment, management, additional testing and follow – up support including help with managing symptoms and palliative care.
- The involvement of cutting – edge technology makes it possible to customize treatment options.
- The services can be accessed by easily visiting the location or can also be planned in collaboration with a general practitioner depending on the severity of care needed.
- The Southeastern Ontario center is renowned for providing top – notch services close to local residential areas through the active involvement of their network of doctors and patients.
Address: 25 King St W, Kingston, ON K7L 5P9, Canada
British Columbia Cancer Agency
- British Columbia Cancer Agency provides comprehensive treatment options for the individuals of British Columbia.
- The Agency is a dedicated service for managing cancer outcomes and is internationally – recognized.
- It has strived to achieve the second – highest survival rates across 67 countries for prostate and breast cancer.
- British Columbia Cancer Agency is renowned for introducing new treatment and screening protocols such as precision medicine, onco – genomics and pangen.
- It launched the world’s first machine learning software for detecting the spread of ovarian cancer.
- It is also initiated Canada’s first cervical cancer screening program and personalized medicine for cancer.
- Several programs and services offered by the agency for cancer patients include the head and neck support group, relaxation programs, memory and attention – oriented training for cancer patients, nutrition support, art therapy group.
- For supporting the needs of cancer patients after their treatment, they endure programs like job search program, laughter for health and leadership regimens.
Address: Multiple locations in Canada; contact the nearest one for address
Cross Cancer Institute
- Cross Cancer Institute is a comprehensive cancer center for the region of Northern Alberta for cancer prevention and treatment in Canada.
- Along with providing medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgical oncology services, the institute excels in providing experimental oncology treatments.
- In this type, the treatment approach is based on laboratory – guided research.
- This is delivered alongside the principles of evidence – based treatment for cancer.
- Molecular oncology, cellular oncology, radiobiology, chemotherapy and imaging are some of its expert areas in the field of oncology, immunology and hematology.
- Surgical approaches adopted at the hospital are also novel and include minimally invasive procedures along with specialised approaches such as radionuclide directed surgery, brachytherapy, and laser therapy.
Address: 11560 University Ave, Edmonton, AB T6G 1Z2, Canada
Cedars Cancer Centre, McGill University Health Centre
- Cedars Cancer Center is one of the most innovative centers dedicated to the treatment of cancer.
- Revolutionizing the existing cancer care approaches, it seeks to provide all services under a single setting.
- It encompasses one of the finest cancer care facilities streaming from the Royal Victoria Hospital and Montreal General Hospital.
- One of the novel approaches adopted is the integration of open garden spaces alongside treatment areas. This gives patients and family members an open space to relax.
- Its spacious treatment room design and collaborative social work regimen are other services which improve patient support of cancer patients.
- Within the center, there are dedicated departments for palliative care, urgent care, radio – oncology including 8 linear accelerator bunkers and brachytherapy suites.
- Health information planning, patient support groups and medical imaging departments are all situated in this solitary setting.
Address: 1001 Decarie Blvd, Montreal, Quebec H4A 3J1, Canada
Michael Garron Hospital
- Michael Garron Hospital provides clinical consultation, treatment and diagnostic services for different kinds of cancer.
- The inter – disciplinary team at the hospital includes The team is inter-disciplinary comprising of oncologists, haematologists, nurses, pharmacists, social workers and clerical navigators.
- These professionals collaborate to provide highly specialized individualized services for each patient.
- The inpatient chemotherapy options at the hospital include intravenous and oral chemotherapy and transfusion.
- One of the major strengths of this hospital is its highly – functioning oncology and hematologic clinic, which combines different treatment approaches based on the needs of the patient.
- Family – centred care is one of the prime focuses of the hospital.
Address: 825 Coxwell Ave, East York, ON M4C 3E7, Canada